CUTS THAT WILL KILL
September 26, 2010
- Already growing numbers of disabled people have taken their own lives after cuts to benefits and care packages. Disabled people say no more cuts, no more attacks on us.
- The Tories have threatened to remove our DLA saying that the number of claimants must be reduced by one-fifth.
- ESA and work capability assessments have been criticised by CAB, disability charities and Disabled People’s Organisations. The government have now said that from October 2010 they will speed up the re-assessment of everyone currently claiming Incapacity Benefit so that 10,000 claimants a week are ‘processed’
- These assessments which ignore GP and consultant views are earning Atos healthcare £100 million a year
- Housing Benefits for all tenants will be reduced. From October 2011 for those 2 million disabled people living in private rented accommodation and from 2013 for anyone living in social housing which is deemed too large for their needs
- There are 1.8 million households on social housing waiting lists. 1 in 4 disabled people live in properties they cannot get in and out of and are trapped in their homes.
- Already 30% of disabled people live below the poverty line and 1 in 4 families with disabled children cannot afford heating
- A tenth of disabled woman have incomes below £31 per week and a tenth of disabled men have incomes below £59 per week including earned income and benefits.
- Added to that funding from the Independent Living Fund for care and support has now ceased to all new claimants and it is now planned to abolish it completely.
- Social Services budgets are under extreme pressure and nearly all Social Services departments have been told to reduce their budgets by 25% which has an obvious knock-on effect to their provision of care and the amount people need to pay towards this.